Some important items for the summer soccer season:
1. The governing bodies for the Talons youth teams are: Ontario Soccer (OS); Eastern Ontario District Soccer Association (EODSA); Eastern Ontario Soccer League (EOSL) and West Carleton Soccer Club (WCSC).
Throughout the season, it is very important that we all follow a specific "hierarchy" when wishing to make contact with any of the governing bodies. Parents and players make contact with our club through the team officials (coaches/assistant coaches/managers). Team officials make contact with our club through the Director of Competitive Teams, email@example.com; the Director of Competitive Teams will either assist you directly or pass along your concerns to the Head Coach, Director of Referees/Discipline or Club Administrator, etc. Only designated Club representatives are allowed to make direct contact with OS/EODSA/EOSL. These organizations can impose sanctions and fines if contacted directly by coaches/managers/players/parents. How/when/if they choose to enforce this particular rule is entirely up to them. Any fines incurred by teams for League infractions are the responsibility of the team to pay.
2. Mandatory League meetings: it is really important that every team has a manager or coach present at the pre-season meeting for their team. There is important information given out at this meeting that every team needs to be aware of and any changes from previous year's operating procedures will be explained then. Teams that do not send a representative to these meetings will be subject to pay the fines that the League levies for non-attendance. The dates for the meeting(s) will be passed along to you as soon as we are notified. Note: most meetings are now virtual meetings -- please check the league website for rules and regulations. www.eosl.ca
3. A level 3 police records check (PRC) for working with the vulnerable sector is required every 3 years, coaches of all youth teams are required to provide the WCSC with a copy of a current PRC. The WCSC can provide a letter of volunteer status so that the volunteer will not be charged for this service -- we do not provide refunds for those that choose to pay for the service. The PRC online application and ID requirements can be found at this link: Ottawa Police Service for a letter of volunteer status please complete the coach registration form on our website (there is a space there to indicate you need a letter of volunteer status for PRC purposes). Applications are submitted online to the police and are returned directly to the person named on the application form, please forward a copy of the completed check to the Club Administrator at firstname.lastname@example.org. Registered coaches that indicate on their application the need for a letter indicating their volunteer status will receive the letter by email. PRC's that have been completed by the police no earlier than Sept 2020 are valid for the 2023 season.
4. Courses: Please see the chart below for the courses required for Coaches (C)/Assistant Coaches (AC) to complete before they can be on the bench at league games for their team. Information and how to register for the required courses can be found by clicking on the course title in the table below, or on the Ontario Soccer website: http://www.ontariosoccer.net/coach
All courses with the exception of "Making Headway", "Understanding the Rule of Two" and "Emergency Action Plan" course have a fee.
WCSC will reimburse C/AC for the cost of the course at the end of the season if all the following criteria are met:
The Admin will also require a copy of completion of the "Making Headway", "Understanding the Rule of Two" and "Emergency Action Plan" courses for all coaches. These are online courses, no fee, and are also recommended for managers.
For coaches that previously completed the CCS, please note that the CCS course is no longer recognized and you will be required to take the MED course and either LTT or SFL (depending on the age group you are coaching) to replace the CCS.
Once completed, courses will be listed in your "coach locker".
NEW IN 2023: REQUIRED FOR ALL TALONS COACHES/ASSISTANT COACHES, "Understanding the Rule of Two" and "Emergency Action Play" -- find these in the multi-sport section on coach.ca
|Course||On-line||Classroom||Age of Players|
|Making Headway (MH)||yes||no||U9-12 and 13+|
|Understanding the Rule of 2||yes||no||U9-12 and 13+|
|Emergency Action Plan (EAP)||yes||no||U9-12 and 13+|
|Making Ethical Decisions (MED)||yes||yes (or on-line)||U9-12 and 13+|
|Respect In Sport (RIS)|
(expires after 5 years)
|yes||no||U9-12 and 13+|
|Learn to Train (LTT)||yes||yes||U9-12|
|Soccer for Life (SFL)||yes||yes||U13+|
5. Uniforms and Equipment: Stay tuned for info.
The "official team roster" is produced from the OS data base. Copies can only be downloaded for you by the Club Administrator and are forwarded to team officials prior to the team activation deadlines for the league websites. Only players (U13+) and team officials listed on the official roster are eligible to participate in games or practices (either on the bench or in the game). Team officials should carry a copy of the official roster to every game, in addition to the game sheet for that game.
Game sheet "rosters" list the players entered in the League website by the District staff for players 13+ and by the Club Admin for U9-U12. It is important that team officials do not activate themselves or enter a player on the game sheet roster until the player/official is listed on the "official roster". Many Leagues check the dates and take disciplinary action if players have been registered in their websites prior to being registered in the OS data base.
Coaches/Managers (team officials):
8. Who can book facilities/sign contracts on behalf of the West Carleton Soccer Club? Specific members of the Club, as laid out in our Constitution can book facilities/sign contracts on behalf of the WCSC. Team officials are not authorized to make bookings in the name of our Club or a WCSC Team without the express permission of the Board of Directors.
Game schedules and league rules will be found on the EOSL website -- for your team's schedule, use the "My Team" feature.
Practice schedules are handled by the WCSC, registered team officials will be contacted when we are able to start booking practice fields for the summer. Please note we are not able to use the outdoor soccer fields before May 15 (City of Ottawa rules). We try very hard to accommodate the times and locations you request, however, we are booking fields for approximately 100 teams each year.