Code of Conduct for Coaches/Assistant Coaches/Managers
I can help prevent concussions through my:
ensure that my athletes wear the proper equipment and wear it correctly.
- Efforts to help my athletes develop their skills and
strength so they can participate to the best of their abilities.
- Respect for the rules of my sport or activity and
efforts to ensure that my athletes do, too.
- Commitment to fair play and respect for all (respecting
other coaches, team managers, officials and all participants and ensuring
my athletes respect others and play fair). *
I will care for the health and safety of all participants by taking
concussions seriously. I understand that:
is a brain injury that can have both short- and long-term effects.
- A blow to the head, face, or neck, or a blow to
the body may cause the brain to move around inside the skull and result in
- A person doesn’t need to lose consciousness to
have had a concussion.
- An athlete with a suspected concussion should
stop participating in training, practice or competition immediately.
- I have a commitment to concussion recognition and
reporting, including self-reporting of possible concussion and reporting
to a designated person when an individual suspects that another individual
may have sustained a concussion. *
- Continuing to participate in further training,
practice or competition with a suspected concussion increases a person’s
risk of more severe, longer lasting symptoms, and increases their risk of
other injuries or even death.
I will create an environment where participants feel safe and
comfortable speaking up. I will:
- Encourage athletes not to hide their symptoms,
but to tell me, an official, parent or another adult they trust if they experience
any symptoms of concussion after an impact.
- Lead by example. I will tell a fellow coach,
official, manager and seek medical attention by a physician or nurse
practitioner if I am experiencing any concussion symptoms.
- Understand and respect that any athlete with a
suspected concussion must be removed from sport and not permitted to
return until they undergo a medical assessment by a physician or nurse
practitioner and have been medically cleared to return to training,
practice or competition.
- For coaches only: Commit to providing opportunities before and
after each training, practice and competition to enable athletes to
discuss potential issues related to concussions. *
I will support all participants to take the time they need to recover.
my commitment to supporting the return-to-sport process. *
- I understand the athletes will have to be cleared
by a physician or nurse practitioner before returning to sport.
- I will respect my fellow coaches, team trainers,
parents, physicians and nurse practitioners and any decisions made with
regards to the health and safety of my athletes.